ΑI4Copernicus was presented at Earth Observation Cafe webinar
In the context of AI4Copernicus project’s dissemination activities, Dr Vangelis Karkaletsis (Project Coordinator) and Dr Xenia Ziouvelou (Open Calls lead) participated in an Earth Observation Cafe webinar dedicated to the project. The event took place virtually on Thursday 15 April 2021, while more than 100 people attended.
The series of EO Cafes are organised by EARSC (European Association of Remote Sensing Companies) offering timely, relevant and practical information on a broad variety of topics related to the Earth Observation domain.
During this webinar, Dr Karkaletsis and Dr Ziouvelou elaborated on the goals and objectives of AI4Copernicus and provided details regarding the Open Calls with their talk titled: Enabling Artificial Intelligence & Earth Observation Innovation.
Watch the full video here:
Concerning the project, AI4Copernicus aims at bridging the EU AI on-demand platform AI4EU with Copernicus Data and Information Access Services (DIAS) platforms and at allowing the emergence of innovative ideas and services. The project will organise, fund and support four open calls for SMEs, facilitating the development of novel, useful and ethical-by-design artificial intelligence innovations (8 small-scale experiments and 9 larger-scale use-cases).
The host, Geoff Sawyer (EARSC’s Strategic Advisor and former Secretary General) discussed with the two guests, but also further AI4Copernicus partners, the following:
- Why it is important to bridge the gap between AI and Earth Observation communities?
- How can we meet this challenge?
- What is the AI4Copernicus project about? And how will AI4Copernicus help in bringing the AI and EO communities closer together?
- How can companies get involved in the AI4Copernicus Open Calls? And what is the AI4Copernicus Trustmark?
- Which are the rewards for the successful applicants of the AI4Copernicus Open Calls? And how will AI4Copernicus support successful Open Calls projects?
- How will AI4Copernicus facilitate citizen-driven value-creation with AI and EO data?